Tuesday, November 11, 2008

A good laugh at myself

Okay, so tonight I was waiting for Owen to get out of gymnastics. He has his first meet of the season coming up this weekend and he has been very anxious over the fact that he does not feel as prepared as he would liketo be going into the first meet. The routines change every three years. He moved up a level last year; which was the last year with that routine. So, this is two years in a row he has had to learn a new routine. However, unlike last year, everyone is learning a new routine this year. Anyway, I went in to watch him work out. He doesn't like me to just "stare" so I picked up a magazine to wait and "watch." I was really just skimming the articles when I came across one that was in the connections section. The subtitle read: 'You are cordially invited to join our lovely hostess/columnist for her latest nervous breakdown...uh, we mean party. The article was about this lady that could not, despite her best efforts host a pleasant dinner party. When asking her significant other his opinion as to why she couldn't host a proper dinner party this was his reply: "The only thing you're doing wrong is constantly striving to do everything exactly right and you drive yourself and everybody else nuts trying to achieve it." She sits back and reflects on what he says. This is her conclusion: She says, "I know he's right. I am part geisha girl, part drill sergeant, with just a soupcon of control freak thrown in for good measure. I want everyone to relax and have a good time, but that has to start with me, and I am about as laid back as a caged hummingbird guzzling a can of Red Bull while awaiting biopsy results. You can keep your medication, your reflexology, your gin, your tonics - I'm just not the mellow type." For some odd reason, (certainly NOT because I could identify with it) this image struck me as hilariously funny; about as laid back as a caged humming bird guzzling a can of Red Bull.... I wonder if this lady has ever been at my house BEFORE a party! :)

No comments: