Monday, December 15, 2008

Divorce

Divorce is a topic that has been bugging me lately. Recently, through facebook, I discovered an old friend who married his childhood sweetheart. I had even seen them and their two cute little boys in my hometown a few years ago. Well, imagine my surprise when I looked through this "friend's" pictures that the caption that read my heart, my life, my best friend, my wife was not the same girl I knew. I was terribly sad and heartbroken for them. Now, they are not really my "friends" and I know nothing about their life, their circumstances, nothing. However, I could not imagine watching my husband be married to another woman. I could not imagine passing him in the grocery store knowing he once knew every intimate detail about me.
This past Sunday, our lesson was on the Proverbs 31 woman. I teach 6th grade girls. We were discussing choices; choices in choosing our friends, choices in choosing our romantic interests; choices in who/what we want to be. We were discussing how in the passage King Lemuel's father had to have seen some of these qualities in his "girlfriend" before she became his wife and the mother of his children. Many of them started telling me the courtship of their mother and father. There was one girl who told of her parents courtship like she was watching a fairytale movie. Then she added, they were married 12 years. My mom got engaged to someone else last weekend. Poof, Cinderella gone Nightmare.
I know divorce happens. My parent's got divorced when I was 2. Ryan's parents divorced after 26 years. But why? Why is happily ever after so difficult? I was discussing this with my children, who have friends that are currently being torn through a terrible he said/she said battle of their parents. After a few moments Owen replied, "it's all Eve's fault." He hit the nail on the head. It is all about sin. Satan would love nothing more than to rip our families to shreds, to shatter our trust in other people, to destroy our faith. Satan can make "the grass on the other side" look so tempting. Marriage takes selflessness, sacrifice, determination, and hard work. Everyone wants to live "happily ever after." I guess the truth is in how you define "happier." If it's okay, I prefer to stay "happy, happier, happiest" with the one I've got! :)

3 comments:

artisticace'smom said...

Please remind Owen for me, that Adam should of stepped up and stopped Eve from sinning, but He watched and then took part in the sin.
It would be great, these days, if more men would act as the head of their households, as God created them to be, and actually took the initiative to lead and counsel their wives in the way of the Lord instead of sitting back and letting her have the reigns. How different the world might be...

Eve said...

Yes, Owen knows Adam was there. However, he also knows that sin is sin and like the old saying goes "it takes two to tango" - especially in a marriage.

Shaw6pak said...

Eve, I think that Ryan has a genetic connection to Dick Clark. He never seems to age. He looks the exact same. I mean the exact same. Hmmm, maybe we should draw some blood from him, bottle it and sell it. .....Just kidding, Ryan.

<3 ya, Kristi