Thursday, December 24, 2009

A Baby Changes Everything

This is one of my favorite new Christmas songs. Last Sunday our church had it Christmas musical/drama. The very last scene was Mary and Joseph in the stable cuddling and loving on Jesus. The "Mary" was a dear friend of ours, a girl that has just completed her first year of college. She was holding that baby so tender and the "Joseph" was lovingly stroking the baby and gazing into Mary's eyes. (They are very good actors.) "Mary's" older sister has recently gotten engaged and as they were singing, my mind went back to when we had all first met. Suddenly, as I was having heart-palpitations that this "Mary" really could, in fact, be a mother. My mind instantly heard the Faith Hill song "A Baby Changes Everything." Ryan and I were young (by today's standard) when Emily was born. Clueless does not even begin to say how we felt. We were far from home, didn't know anyone with kids, all our friends were as clueless as we were. I had read every volume/magazine available on child-rearing. I didn't want to get this wrong. Imagine the pressure Mary felt. She was a very young girl, had a confused husband (who wouldn't be), had to leave home, couldn't even find a place to rest yet she was called to be the mother of the babe that would change the world forever. I cannot begin to imagine the feelings of doubt and inadequacies she must have felt. How in the world could you mother a sinless baby when our own sins are so great? Luckily for us, Joseph and Mary stepped up the the plate and completed the task they were called to do. "My whole life was turned around I was lost but now I'm found A Baby changes everything." Amen, sister!

1 comment:

Beth said...

Amen, and Merry Christmas!