Thursday, July 8, 2010

Letting Go

Generally speaking, Letting go is hard. We decided it was time to redo the boys' room - seeing that we have NEVER bought either boy a single piece of furniture - it was time. We redid the girls' room about two years ago - new furniture, new bedding, fresh paint, etc. Well, with the redoing and such there is also some reorganization called for. For anyone that knows my boys, they are as different as night and day. Owen loved trains, action figures, stuffed animals and "gadgets" - stuff mainly out of happy meals. Give the boy a piece of string a couple of items mentioned above and you wouldn't see him for hours. Ian, on the other hand, loves to build, to create things from nothing and play whatever Alexa wants to play. So, cleaning out the closest was HARD! There were many things that I know Owen could care less about playing with and Ian is not interested in, but I just couldn't let them go. I can still see Owen playing and playing with these beloved items. He had this gun - "Old Betsy" that he LOVED. You can tell it was loved - there is very little paint left on it and has a slight crack around the middle. It is one of those old wooden Daniel Boone type guns. I kept moving it around and around the room. I just couldn't part with it! (You notice the "I" part there.) The rest of my family thinks I am crazy. They just shake their heads and give me a little sympathetic smile. I really do want my children to grow up and lead productive, Christ-honoring adult lives away from home. And when they do, so what if I still have "Old Betsy" stored away in my mind, in my heart, AND in my attic? Did I mention that I have a very LARGE attic?

No comments: