Sunday, October 5, 2008

A little of this and a little of that

Well, I am still planning on posting the details of Ian's party. I cannot believe it has been a week. This weekend was just as busy as last. Friday we had co-op (it was my week to teach), subtesting (for Emily and Owen's black belt testing), and Saturday we had Owen's football game. All of those activities were consecutively boom, boom, boom. We didn't get home until midnight Friday night and then had to leave at 9:45 the next morning to go to the game. The Father/Son campout was this weekend as well. This is something my boys (all three of them) look forward to all year. However, in our "something has got to give" campaign; that was what got cut. Unfortunately, this was more for Owen's benefit than Ian's. Ian carried the longer lasting disappointment. So, because we had gotten home so late on Friday night, we decided to postpone our Friday Family night to Saturday night so that we could enjoy it a little more. After the game on Saturday, we were able to come back home. After a few stops, we got home around 4. We decided to play a game of kickball before supper. My dad and the little girl across the road made the teams 4 against 4. We had a great time. Then, we came in for pizza and movies. On Friday's we eat on the floor and sleep all together on a big mattress on the middle of the living room floor. We bought a projector last year and watch our bedtime movie on the wall. Well, Ian's movie was scratched so we were just messing around after supper and then the kids went to get on their pj's and Ryan went to bake the cookies (not from scratch - just pull of the paper and place on the pan). Anyway, Ian had gotten out his bubble blower thing but it wouldn't work. He got out a different bottle and started blowing bubbles. His bottle was one of the one's that doesn't spill. The new bottle he spilt all over the floor in just opening it. So, we poured out his old bubble stuff and put in the new. Ryan had my ipod playing in the kitchen and I handed the bubble bottle back to him. Rather than taking the bottle, he stood there ready to attack bubbles. So, I did a very uncharacteristic thing for me - I blew bubbles! I blew and blew and blew. My sweet baby popped and popped and popped. He did chops, he did punches, he did kicks, he tried to eat them, he blocked them. We blew and popped bubbles for 20 minutes. I know to most of you are probably thinking, "yeah, so?" At that moment, with Ian in the kitchen, I was the kind of mother I WANT to be. I didn't fuss about the bubble stuff getting on the floor, I didn't blow once or twice and then quit, I didn't give suggestions for him to do something other than what he was doing. We just blew bubbles. I felt like my heart would burst. I cannot exactly identify why - if it is because he is my baby and I am not sure how I feel about that, and he is getting so big; if it was because my family was near and we were just us being us; if it was at that moment, I felt so undeniably blessed. I guess it was a combination of all of those things. I know for that moment, I wanted to pause time. I wanted to hold on so tight to all of them and never let go. Then Ryan burst into my daydreaming and says "the cookies are ready to decorate." Ian so sweetly pats me on the arm, gives me a wink and says "good blowin', ma" and runs off to argue over which color sprinkle goes on which cookie and who gets to decorate how many. Where does the time go?!

2 comments:

Beth said...

...priceless... that made me think of some of my "frozen time" moments. I think all moms must have them - maybe they are a gift from God - those family togetherness moments that etch into your mind, when your heart is so full! And now seem even more precious because we AREN'T all together anymore. yeah, where does the time go?

Shaw6pak said...

I know exactly what you mean. I am proud of you for blowing bubbles. I love thost "all is well in my world" moments. Even when things aren't are well, the most important stuff trumps everything. I am glad that you a good evening. Thanks for the phone call.
~~~Kristi