Tuesday, March 24, 2009

My boys


I have noticed something this week about my boys and I decided to share my revelation. My two boys are very different and very similar. Their temperaments, their likes/dislikes, their physiques are very different. However, their love for rough housing, their sports-mindedness, their love for their mother are very much the same. One very significant similiarity is that they are both homebodies. When Owen was little, he was extreme. His extreme was why I quit working. Ian has always been a bit more subtle. I am not sure if this is due to his personality or if he had less of a choice. Owen only had one older sibling to go places where Ian had three. (I think)I have finally figured out why they get so out of whack if we are not home enough. My boys are totally different at home than they are anywhere else. I discovered just this weekend that very few people actually KNOW my boys. There are some family members and a few close friends. That is so the opposite of my girls - they are "what you see is what you get" all the time. Owen and I went to Hickory this weekend for a gymnastics meet. So many people told me how well-mannered he was, how attentive, how he was really focused. Now, I was there and I totaly agree that he was all of those things. However, I saw all over his face that it took everything he had. We were in a new gym with different coaches, different kids, judges, etc. He knew to be on his "best behavior." It was not something I coached, it just happened. Out in public, neither of my boys hardly speak; but at home they rattle off like crazy; talking, screaming, wrestling, aggrivating, etc, etc. I think it is great that they know how to behave outside of our house and that home is their "safe haven." I am also grateful for those few places and people who have invested in my boys' lives and get a real glimpe of how great they really are - inside and out!

1 comment:

Shaw6pak said...

Well, seeing as I am an expert on boys, allow me to say that I truly enjoy yours. I have spent less time with Ian than with Owen and I tend to see him as a bit more reserved. But I love that he feels comfortable enough to pull up a chair next to me and explain how Upwards basketball works.

You have great boys (children overall) and it's a testimony that you and Ryan seek Christ to train them and love them.