Monday, January 4, 2010

Back to School

I had said awhile back that I was not going to use this blog as a whining forum. However, I have decided to make today an exception. First of all let me say, I love my life. I love my kids. I would not trade our experience for anyone else's and (most of the time) I love homeschooling. We actually took a break over Christmas. I mean a true, the school room could be full of spiders, break. It was just time. We break over summer but usually still have several projects and math looming over us. We do "mini-projects" or finish books that we had started during the school year. My kids have done "summer school" for most of their lives. This year (2009) has been draining. I cannot exactly put my finger on why - it could be the pressure of homeschooling a junior, it could be the pressure of the outside activities, it could be the pressure of finishing up getting that last one to read well, maybe I have just grown weary or lazy. Anyway, I decided to break over Christmas. I told the kids this and they gave me a "yeah right" look and waited for the famous "well, we are going to break everything but ...". It has been three glorious weeks. We played games, we ate dinner together, we watched movies, I read pleasure books, we got together with family and friends. It was a lovely time. I guess it was too lovely because now I REALLY don't want to start school tomorrow. In all of that fun, I really did nothing - no planning, no plotting, my calendar even still says December and I don't care! I should be in there moving it around, filling out their charts but instead I am blogging my whine. I knew that tomorrow would come and like I told my kids before bed "We just have to put on our big kid panties and deal with it!" And I will - tomorrow morning! I am going to go to bed praying for a better attitude. It will be great once we get going... but I can tell, it is going to be a painful start!

No comments: