Tuesday, February 2, 2010

I knew it was coming




Something big happened at our house tonight. Actually, it started last night (after torturing my children the past 3 days watching North and South), we told them that tonight after dinner we would all play a board game. It is very rare that we are all home on a Tuesday night so I promised if they would suffer through the last in a four part series, we would play a game tonight. We all knew the game would be Quelf. This rediculous game that all the kids love. Anyway, we were dividing the teams and Ian decided he didn't want to be anyone's partner but wanted to play alone. We were a little skeptical but decided to go ahead. You see, up until tonight, he had still decided he couldn't read. We have been listening to him read books for several months but if you were to ask him if he could "read" his answer would be "no". Well, tonight that all changed. With a few exceptions, and a few made up words, he faithfully read and acted out his cards. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I wanted to laugh because I have had to fight with him almost daily to have a "reading" lesson all this year. At this point, he just doesn't see the "need". I wanted to cry because that is my baby and babies don't read! Yet, I look at him and I see him growing before my very eyes. Owen was born a boy - all boy - rough, loud, oblivious to the world around him. Ian was born a boy as well, just a more sensitive, soft-spoken, observant boy. Tonight, when he was going to bed I asked him if he would always be my baby even now that he could "read". He gave me this crazy look and said "of course I will but NOW will you believe me that I don't need anymore READING lessons?" He laughed....tonight - However; tomorrow may be a different story!

1 comment:

Beth said...

Another milestone! Good job, Ian, and good job, Mama! :-)