Saturday, February 20, 2010

Valentine's Day

Let me start by saying, I am not a huge "Valentine's Day" fan. I mean really, if you have to work to show me "love" on that ONE day, I don't want it. However, the older I get any excuse to go on a date works for me! Typically Valentine's Day comes and goes at our house (because in case you didn't know - it falls during Tax Season). Last month, Ryan and I celebrated our 17th wedding anniversary (which, yes falls during tax season as well - I married him BEFORE our life revolved around tax season). We had the usual "dinner and a movie". Now, don't get me wrong. I don't mind dinner and a movie as a general rule. But on special occasions, I like a little more forethought; I little unpredictableness; I little more pizazz.
On said above anniversary, as Ryan's gift, I gave him a book of all the cards, letters, and poems he had written me over the years (all 19 of them). When we first met, Ryan was quite the poet. I have all sorts of poems; love poems, sad poems, mad poems, forever poems. So, for Valentine's Day he wrote me a poem. All of the kids, (except Alexa, of course) were disgusted by its "mushiness". Here it is, his first "published" work:

"An Ode to Love"
When I think back through the years,
I have to hold back my tears,
As I remember the joy that I felt,
At the first time I saw you, you made my heart melt,
You didn't know it at the time,
That you would very soon be mine,
Even though you didn't know my name,
You let me in just the same,
Now it is many years down the road,
We are together in our humble abode,
I am thankful that we were brought together,
To be in love forever and ever,
Even though the years have past,
Our love I know will surely last,
We have many more years to look forward to,
I am glad I will be spending them with you,
I want to shower you with my love,
As it given to me from God above,
I hope you know how much you mean to me,
You fill my life with so much glee,
Thank you for choosing me to spend the rest of your life,
I love You very much, thanks for being my wife.

Isn't forethought such a wonderful thing?

2 comments:

Enjoying Life Together said...

Do you think Ryan could write one for me? I have found it is very hard to rhyme with Sabrina.

Eve said...

That's the beauty of poetry, Sabrina, it doesn't HAVE to rhyme! :)