Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving

So, I have arrived. This is my first Thanksgiving,ever, to have to get up at the crack of dawn to put a turkey in the oven. I would like to say it was a beautiful experience, one that I will fight for in years to come. However, that was not exactly the case. Raw meat is not something my eyes, nose and hands can handle very well. I can definitely see why handling it makes some turn to a vegetarian life style. Anyway, my dear knight (who was already up in order to go in search of my After-Thanksgiving sales ads) so lovingly helped me stuff it into the bag and into the oven. With that chore accomplished, I was able to just sit in the quiet and observe the morning. I can see why some are such advocates of the early morning stillness. It was beautifully breath-taking as the sun was just peeking above the trees. I was reminded of an overwhelming sense of thankfulness. Thankful that I have parents who have always loved and supported me, thankful that I have never experienced true hunger, thankful that I have a Savior that loves me despite my many flaws and failures, thankful that I have a wonderful husband, thankful that I have beautiful, healthy, intelligent children who are growing in the Lord, thankful that I have the privilege to homeschool those children, thankful for the opportunities we have in America, thankful for my beautiful home and the comfort and safety it provides. Just so thankful that if feels as though my heart could burst. Yet, at the same time there is such a longing and burden. A longing for the sweet, young man that sat at my dinner table last night and got choked up that it was his first family meal in 4 months, a longing at the realization that if he were to die tonight - he would be forever separated from Christ, a longing for my baby on another continent - what are he/she doing today; are they born, is there anyone there hugging and kissing them and singing quiet lullabies, feeding them, loving them. A longing for all the other children that may never know what it like to have that forever family. It is crazy how in one moment there can be such a rush of thankfulness and fullness and then such a strong current of burdens and sadness. At the same time as having these whirlwind of thoughts, my quiet morning was interrupted by my knight screaming at the dog for pooping on the floor. I am silently screaming and waving my arms begging him to not wake the kids. Then, I realize it is because we live in a fallen world that we have such a span of emotions. We are blessed and comfortable but we are called to be burdened, the things we are burdened over are the things we are called to strive to change. We are called to be set apart. Sometimes, that being set apart, sets us up for ridicule and isolation, sometimes it makes people think we are crazy, and sometimes that being set apart gives us that quiet, gentle prodding of a whisper of the 'well done' I so long to hear. Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: