Thursday, January 12, 2012

My new motto "Let Go and Let God..."



This is what Owen looked like when he had just transferred to North Raleigh Gymnastics. He was 7. He had been taking gym at a local place when the owner told us Owen had too much potential to stay at his girl's focused gym. He actually called around and set up a time for Owen to be evaluated. We went but then sort of hemmed and hawed at signing him up. They wanted him on TEAM. This was a big, expensive, time-consuming commitment. I was just unsure. After a couple of months of him living on the trampoline, flipping on and off our couch, chairs, etc, we decided he needed it. Well, 7 years later here we are:





In the middle of the season last year, Owen hurt his shoulder on rings. After 8 months his coach decided maybe we should go have it checked out. An MRI and 1,000 hours of PT later, we discovered that he has a partially torn rotator cuff. I have been fortunate enough that my kids have been healthy. Orthopedist appointments and physical therapy appointments several times a week created havoc on our schedule as well as our checkbook. We were so uncertain what to do. The fact of the matter is Owen is a gymnast. It is part of his make-up, it is part of his identity.

He wasn't ready to give it up. I wasn't ready for him to give it up. I didn't feel as though God was ready for him to give it up. He wasn't done. So, we had him lay out of the first meet. Saturday(Jan 14) is the second meet. We are going. I am extremely nervous about it - not just for his shoulder. I am nervous because of fear. Fear of doing the wrong thing (about letting him compete), fear of him not doing well and being disappointed in himself, just fear of unsettledness. In all that fear I hear a small voice saying "Let Go and Let God". I know it, my brain knows it but my heart, my pride, my love for Owen tries to scream over that quiet voice. So, if you think of us bright and early this Saturday morning - just lift us up because I have a feeling I'm going to need it!

No comments: