Monday, May 5, 2008

Back to the 80s

Well, last weekend was my sister's bachelorette party. We did a combo shower/bachelorette. We did a lingerie shower from 2 -4 and then an 80's sleepover bachelorette. For the lingerie shower, I had asked everyone to bring their pajamas in a paper sack. We were going to attempt to match the pjs with the people. It was great fun and a wonderful "ice breaker." (I have to say, I was getting a little nervous about the quietness of the group at the beginning.) My sister had a great combination of old friends she had known forever, new friends from college, and family. Anyway, back to the pjs; it was harder than I thought it would be. Of course a few of us had to throw some things into the mix we would never sleep in and someone brought an empty bag! We had a great time speculating who slept in what in the privacy of their own home. Then, we played a few "who knows the bride the best" type games and of course my sister cried at all the bittersweet memories. While supper was cooking, I divided the group into "teams." (I tried to separate out all of the art majors so they would not have an unfair advantage.) I gave each team a package of toilet paper and tape. Each group had thirty minutes to create a wedding dress. Their designs got quite complex. Alexa and Olivia got to be the "official judges." They decided it was a tie! One "bride" had a headpiece they especially liked and the other "bride" had little buttons (balls of toilet paper) all down the back that equally impressed the judges. After supper, we transitioned into our 80s garb. What was funny is most of these girls were barely born in the 80s. My sister was born in 83. Anyway, most of us went for the Michael Jackson, Cyndi Lauper, Madonna look. My mom says she never saw anyone dress like we did in the "80s". We decided we most likely would have had our mother's allowed it! Anyway, I know I was made for the 80s. I love the fishnet hose and high heels and big fluffy hair. I was running out of time before the "contest" and didn't have a lot of time to fix my hair; I turned my everyday hair upside down, added a clip and there you go! We posed for pictures and then danced the night away. We did the electric slide, the macarana, the chicken dance, m c hammer, the robot, even the hokey pokey. By this time it was midnight. I had rented lots of 80s movies: Top Gun, Risky Business, Pretty in Pink, Footloose, Sixteen Candles, Back to the Future. Unfortunately, we were all pooped and didn't watch any movies. (I had a private back to the 80s movie marathon the rest of the week.) We got up Sunday morning and my mom had made a breakfast casserole and had fruit and stuff left over from the night before. Most people left around noon. My mom, sister and sister-in-law stayed around a while longer to talk about how much fun the party was! Now, on to the next thing....

No comments: