Friday, December 16, 2011

Stocking hung by the chimney with care....

Umm, nope. Well, yes, they are hung. On a bare mantel, over a broken nativity. I have my candle holders out - the same ones I have used since 1998. Empty, with no candles. I have two boxes of "stuff" Ryan keeps begging to put back up into the attic "you only have a week" he keeps telling me. Here's the thing - I love Christmas. I love everything about Christmas. Giving gifts is one of my most favorite things on the planet to do. However, I don't like gift giving to just get a check mark or to cross some one's name off of the list. I love all of the decorations. I have already mentioned my insane love for my house - it triples seeing it all lit up (or partially lit) Christmas lights. I love sitting around our crazy tree - our ornaments tell a life story (several, in fact) rather than a color-coded Martha Stewart type tree. I love reading all of the Christmas books (which haven't even been gotten down out of the attic.) In years past, I would wrap and number all of the books so that was our "countdown" for Christmas. I am pretty sure Alexa and Ian have never even heard some of these stories. And do you know what, for right now, I am okay with that. The crazy thing is, I am okay with the fact that my candle holders are empty (for now), that two strands of the icicle lights are out, that my nativity set needs even more hot gluing. I am not feeling the pressure "you only have a week". My mind is hearing/saying "you have a week." Now, next week, I may be crying a different song but for now, I'm good. Two years ago, Ryan and I took a weekend trip away to Christmas shop. It was one of the best things we have ever done. We went to a deserted Bed and Breakfast and stayed in the "Love Shack" cabin! I didn't even want to stay there because of such a cheesy name. However, it was the one with the special and it turned out to be a lovely cabin. I had my list and we shopped by day and stayed in the "love shack" by night (are you singing the B-52s song about now - it happened every single time!) Anyway, last year I was back on my own and I didn't like it. So, this year, I am not getting a weekend away but I am getting a day. Ryan has taken the whole day off tomorrow and we are leaving at daybreak and not coming home until we are done. I have my lists, my store plans, and my list of things "to discuss". I think that is why I cannot sleep, I am so excited! Ryan, not so much, but he is being a good sport about it. Then, next week, I have several activities planned for the kids and for us as a family to get us mentally ready for Christmas. I've got a week, I'll be ready!

No comments: