Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Happy Birthday, Owen!

My oldest son is turning 16 today. I can remember the blur of bringing him home from the hospital. He was born March 12 (obviously Ryan and I didn't plan that real well). Ryan brought us home from the hospital and then we saw him again a month later. Owen and I bonded during those late nights together. I have said since his birth that God gave us Owen to prove that we weren't good parents. Parenting Owen has been an adventure since the get-go; an adventure I wouldn't trade for all the tea in China. The other kids tease that he is my favorite child. And like I tell them, he is - my very favorite second-born, oldest son. Don't tell the other kids, but it is true. He is one of my very favorite people on the planet. Owen is what they call a square peg. He is never going to fit into a round mold. He has is own way of doing things. When he was younger, that nearly drove me to insanity. Now, (most of the time) it is one of the things I love most about him. When he was younger, I was forever telling him to "use his own brain" now - sometimes, he uses his own brain a little too well. When he was younger, I would tell him "please use some self-control". Now, he is a self-disciplined young man that often has many irons in the fire and often comes out the champ on top. If I said I were not struggling with the fact of him growing up - I would be telling a lie. I have already had one fly the coop. I have discovered that once the driver's license is obtained - it is like hyper drive to graduation. However, as sad as I am to see him growing and preparing to leave my house - I have confidence that he has the tools he needs to succeed in life. He has a hard work ethic (outside of the house), he is kind, smart and intelligent and he has the saving knowledge of Christ. I know that whatever path God puts him on, he will become a great man. I love you, buddy!

No comments: