Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Beauty

This past weekend, we went to the beach. We have been going to this same beach house for a couple of years now. We usually go a couple of times a summer, sometimes for a week, sometimes for just a weekend. However, we hadn't found the time to go yet this summer. We decided on the spur of the moment to go. The house is not right on the beach. It is behind the row of houses right on the beach and across a side street. We can see, hear, and smell the beach from the deck. Anyway, when we got there, we unloaded the car and the kids where begging to "see" the ocean. We walked across the street and up the stairs to reach the ocean. When you get to the landing the picture above is what you see. Alexa, was standing beside me and she says "Wow, the ocean." I say, "Alexa, we have been here a million times, you've seen the ocean before." Taking my hand, she says, "Yes, mommy, but I forget how big and how beautiful it is every time."

I was instantly reminded of child-like faith and making sure I try to see each new day, each new situation, each part of creation as it what created to be: beautiful.


Here are a few more fun pictures. We had a great time.

This is Alexa and Ian playing in the sand. The water was very rough on Saturday morning. They were frustrated that I would not let them go out very far - even though they were "partners" and would look out for one another. I love that they are great playmates.
This is Owen and Emily. The sun was so bright, I was having a hard time seeing what I was actually taking a picture of! We had gone and gotten boogie boards. They had just ridden in a wave.
Ryan had gotten some paddle ball rackets when we went into town. He and Owen were having some fierce paddle ball competitions. You would think they were in the Olympics. The funny thing was I just had to laugh at Ryan's concerns that Owen is "too competitive." That is SO the pot calling the kettle black!!!

This is a picture of Ian and Ryan taken minutes apart. Ian still enjoying and basking in the sun - even though we had been on the beach for two solid straight days. We have never been on the beach so long consecutively, ever. Unfortunately, this is Ryan being held hostage against his will. Unlike the rest of us, Ryan burns just walking to the mailbox. By this time in the weekend, he was ready to go back to the house! :) We had just as much fun at the house too, we played go fish, Banana grams, apples to apples, jr, and uno attack. It was a great time. I love my family and all their quirks too!

No comments: