Friday, August 15, 2008

Call me crazy


This week, we have been glued to the Olympics. Our favorite part, of course, is the gymnastics. Although, I have to say, swimming has come in a close second this year. Anyway, the other night, we were watching the girl's gymnastics (you will have to forgive me, I really don't pay attention to their names) and one of the girls from the American team was about to vault when the commentator guy said "they have been training for years for the next thirty seconds." I realized that I couldn't watch. I knew in person, at Owen's meets, most of the time, I can barely watch. When I do, I am tense as all get out and holding my breath. I realized I was doing that for each of these girls about to perform. I realized, in that moment, that I am an instant replay kind of watcher! I can close my eyes the first go-round and if it's safe, enjoy it the second time around. Later, the same girl that had done an excellent vault fell during her floor routine. I felt SO badly for her! She went from a high of being the best score on vault to the bottom, being the lowest on floor. The bottom line is that both times, she was doing the very best she could. The purpose of this post is two fold: 1. Call me crazy; but, I do not desire to ever have a child compete in the Olympics and 2. don't we all train years and years for the next 30 seconds? If we don't, we should. "Moreover, no man knows when his hour will come: As fish are caught in a cruel net, or birds are taken in a snare, so men are trapped by evil times that fall unexpectedly upon them." Ecclesiastes 9:12

1 comment:

Beth said...

Excellent post! That is something to chew on ... we are all training all our lives for the "next 30 seconds".

<><
Beth