Tuesday, April 8, 2008

A lady at Wal-Mart

I am a people watcher. I always have been. Last night, at Wal-Mart, I was in the center aisle looking at sunglasses. In the Raleigh Wal-Mart, across from the sunglasses is the candy aisle. There was lady with A LOT of kids. She had three cart fulls of kids. I was trying to count, but couldn't. Anyway, this young girl, about 11, darted out of "line" and started begging/whining/pleading for candy. I don't remember exactly what the woman answered back, but it was with the most hateful, hostile voice I have heard in a long time. She grabbed the girls arm, threw the candy back on the shelf and kept her procession going. The older two kids, who were pushing the other two carts looked disgustingly at one another and then at their sister, with a scornful "look at what you've done" and "you should know better." My heart instantly broke for these children. Then, as I continued to shop I began to wonder, has anyone ever seen me out with my children and had the same reaction to me as I did to this lady? Now, I don't know this lady, I've never seen her before and obviously her reaction was not one that I felt like I needed to call DSS right away. I did see that she was tired, out-numbered, ill, and overwhelmed. Anyone who knows me knows that I have a quick, sharp tongue. My life "verse" (for several years now) has been Philippians 4:5 'Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.' I am not naturally a gentle person. Mercy and compassion (for my children) are not my strongest gifts. Unfortunately, I know that the look I saw that passed between those older children, I have seen before in my own children. A "stay out of mom's way" type look. Yet, because I have been called to motherhood, I know that somewhere in my body, God has equipped me with gentleness, kindness, compassion and mercy. I just have to make the choice of when and WHERE I employ those gifts. It's not easy and it definitely keeps me on my knees. I just have to hope that if anyone has seen me being overly harsh to my children, that they would do for me what I did for that lady. I prayed for her; I prayed for her precious children and that she would know and recognize that they are very special gifts from God hand-picked just for her. Then, I came home and hugged mine a little tighter and made a greater effort to be a little more gentle.

No comments: