Friday, April 11, 2008

Love


Love to me is a funny thing. I always like to look at couples and "see" the attraction. It has always fascinated me as to how/why people pick people to be their "circle"; even more so how people go about choosing mates. I love a good, sappy, love story. So, Easter Sunday we were riding home in the car and the song 'Walking her Home' by Mark Schultz came on - it has rapidly become one of my favorite songs. Anyway, so I began to drill Ryan about 'the night he fell in love.' His answer surprised me. He said, "the night we met - you were sitting on the edge of the coffee table and I came over and asked for your phone number. I knew then." I had to laugh! Okay, for a little history, Ryan and I met in college, the day after my 18th birthday. All of my roommates had gone home for the weekend so I went to hang out with a friend of mine from high school that also went to App. He and Ryan lived in the same dorm. We had all gotten together in a group and went to another friend's apartment across campus. Ryan had some obnoxious friends visiting him and one was being quite a thorn in my side. So, I spent most of my evening trying to dodge the friend. Now the surprising thing to me, looking back, is that 1-I didn't even know him (Ryan) yet I still gave him my phone number 2- He had annoying friends and I still gave him my phone number! In fact, he used a nickname in college so the next day when he called and told me it was 'Ryan', I had no clue who he was! So as I am laughing recalling all of this he says "So, when did YOU fall in love?" For me, it was several months later and my roommates and I had gone to Panama City for spring break. We had gone out several nights in a row and the guys that were in the motel room beside us were starting to get on my last nerve. That's when I discovered that they were not really as annoying as I thought they were (okay, maybe they were) but that I had already found what I was looking for. I called him that night on the phone to tell him so. He thought aliens had come and taken over my body! The crazy thing is, that's how we are. If we shop, he goes straight to what he's looking for. Me, I like to look, compare, get a bargain; then, I almost always go back to the first thing we looked at. I know that day nearly 18 years ago, God had to be laughing His head off at what He had in store for us as I handed over that phone number! We would have never believed it. Isaiah 55:8 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the Lord." I am grateful each and every day that He had a different plan and direction for my life!!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Thanks for the glimpse into the past. You two make a pretty special team. Glad we're friends.
<><

Beth said...

OKAY - that last note wasn't from Amanda! I didn't notice that I was signed in to blogger under her name until I had hit "send"! Gotta pay attention to those things....

Ryan Nemitz said...

I liked that blog story. It does tell the great story behind how we met and how God choose us to be together. It was definitely a God thing when you handed me your phone number. I Love You forever and always.