Saturday, July 23, 2011

Creating a Legacy

Ryan and I attended a memorial service for a young man this afternoon. He was a 21 year old soldier killed in the line of duty in Iraq. We didn't know him personally but have lots of friends of a friend in common and were members of and involved with the same homeschooling support group. I have never attended an active soldier's funeral. I have been to plenty where they were veterans and were honored. During the service I noticed two things. One - there were lots, I mean lots, of young men and women about his same age that were in the military. A lot of kids within the homeschooling community enlisted in the services. I was thinking about patriotism and how great it is that so many kids can be so passionate about having the honor of protecting our country. As I was thinking about this, I realized that most of these kids would have been somewhere between 10 - 15 when 9/11 happened. The military became up close and personal to America. I was struck with such a series of emotions. So glad that so many of these young people (any people, really) were called to the armed services. At the same time, I am thankful that presently none of my children have that drive. Though I would whole heartedly support them, and be proud of them, I would selfishly want to keep them safe. That thought moved me to my next point (I really was listening as well, I was multi-tasking). Two, we cannot really keep them safe. At the moment, my daughter is getting on an airplane and coming back home. We are driving in a car to go get her. In a matter of months, we will be moving her to a college campus. All of that involves risk. Which brought me to my next thought. What would my legacy be? I would hope that people would say that I am kind, that I care for others, that I am loving & giving but would they know the real reason as to why I strive to do those things? Would they know it is because I so want to hear "Well done" when I get to heaven. Not because of the things I have done, but because I am so unworthy of the price my Savior paid for me. What about my children? What would their legacy be? From all the people who shared it was obvious how much this young man loved life, loved his family, loved to hunt and fish. Then his Pastor got up and shared about his relationship with Christ. About how he cared for others and wanted them to know the same peace he had about where he would be should he end up dying for our country. I am thankful that each of my children have a relationship with godly men that would be able to share how they have seen the fruit of their decision to follow Christ. It is my goal that my children would continue to strive to make positive lasting relationships in the name of Christ for the rest of their lives. What is your legacy?

No comments: