Wednesday, July 27, 2011

My new Hero

This afternoon I was making my weekly trip to Sam's Club. I had finished my shopping. As I am walking out of the store to my van, this man comes up to me (he looked like a normal man). I thought he was going to ask the time. He had a beach umbrella and something else that apparently he needed to return. Anyway, he came extremely close and says "Girl, you looking fine - you married?" Ummm, excuse me? As I stuttered and stammered that yes, in fact, I was married. He stands there looking at me and I rush off. Anyway, thankfully, I was parked beside a large air conditioning repair vehicle. I hear someone calling "Hot lady" , "Hot lady". I peer around the van to see the man walking through cars looking, apparently, for me. The hatch is broken on the back of my van, so it is very difficult to load groceries into the back, forget doing it quickly or inconspicuously. I am already thinking through my assault pattern if he approached me again. You would see me on the 6 o'clock news assaulting a man with his own beach umbrella. The man was getting closer, still calling out, when a UPS guy came down by the car. I call him over, explain my dilemma. So, he graciously stood there and held open my hatch while looking out for the crazy man. Eventually, he gave up and went into the store. I apologized to the man for stopping him. The crazy thing is, he looked more "scary" than the man that approached me, yet he brought me great comfort. After I got into my car and the UPS man took my cart, I wondered if I should have gone into Sam's to report him or something. He hadn't actually done anything, just made me extremely uncomfortable and I am not generally spooked. If he really wasn't crazy, I wonder if he gets many positive responses from that type of tactic. And if he does, what does what type of person could/would respond favorably. How on earth could that be viewed as flattery? I also couldn't get over how boldatious he was. It was 8:00, still very much daylight, in a semi-crowded parking lot. I have come to the conclusion that creepy, stalkerish men creep me out! Ryan said I could do a new commercail for UPS: "What can brown do for you!"

1 comment:

Beth said...

Hooray for the UPS guy! Maybe you should be carrying mace.