Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Goals vs Desires

Recently, at a meeting I attended, we were given a sheet labeled goals vs desires. I had never really given much thought to a difference between the two. In my mind, you work hard enough toward your goal and gain the desired effect. However, as I am getting older/wiser, I am learning more and more that this is not the case. The worksheet labeled a goal as an objective under my control - depending upon my willingness. A desire as a legitimate yearning for certain responses from others - but for something which is out of my control. A desire can't be reached by my efforts alone. These two definitions popped my balloon. The worksheet went on further to say that the appropriate response to a desire is prayer; the appropriate response to a goal is proper action. Goals are related to the fulfillment of our basic need - desires are not. Our heart must never be set on reaching desires. We often make the mistake of praying for goals and trying to assume responsibilities for desires. Problems arise when desires become goals.
It is no secret that I am a goal oriented person. Like I said, I have never given much thought to the differences between goals and desires. Yet, I found this information to be profound. Adoption has taught me a lot of things. One of the lessons that I am currently learning is that it can be my goal to adopt. My part of that would be what is under my control - the paperwork, the follow-up, the monetary obligation, etc. I definitely desire to adopt. Desiring adoption is the epitome of this definition of desire; something that is out of my control. A desire cannot be reached by my efforts alone. I know that I serve a big God. I know that if it is His will for us to have a child, we will. I know that nothing can stop or stall His timetable. I have to be willing to do my part; no more, no less. I guess that is my new goal...

No comments: