Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Thanksgiving Project(s)

This past Saturday a rare thing happened in our household: I didn't have anywhere I had to go on a Saturday. Of course, it happened by accident so it wasn't like I could prepare or plan a project ahead of time. Owen was sick and Ian's football pictures were cancelled due to the rain. Anyway, I found myself with several hours of "nothing" to do. I sort of laughed at us as we all (except for Owen who didn't move off of the couch) just roamed around. I decided that my picture boxes needed some organization. I am a scrapbook wanna-be. Yet a complete failure at it. I do not have one single album. However, I do have a container labeled for each year and each event is in a baggie in chronological order. (Supposedly to help myself just grab a bag to complete a page.) Due to digital cameras, I had fallen behind on my "baggie" style picture filing. I also have every ticket stub, wrist band, invitation, playbill, newspaper article etc. for my said scrapbooks. These items had gotten just stuffed into a larger container and were all over the place. Nothing brings out my nostalgia worse than pictures. My kids love pictures as well. I dream about them sitting around, us all looking through my wonderful albums laughing and reminising together. Luckily for me, they are just has happy looking through the labeled baggies and are quite proficient at putting them back.
Anyway, on to the point, as I was organizing the scrapbook stuff, I came across each of my kid's Thanksgiving projects. I am such a Kindergarten teacher. To celebrate Thankgsving for each of my children's Kindgarten year, we made a Thanksgiving turkey. We cut out thousands (not really but close to 100) construction paper feathers that said "I am thankful for..." Then weeks before Thanksgiving we mailed the feathers to family and special friends. I have the feathers from all 4 kids turkeys. I have the sweet notes friends and family sent back with their feathers. As I was reading the feathers it was fun to see the overlap, the change in priorties as the years went by. Then, I got even more nostalgic. I have a limited amount of things that I did consitently with each of them. Will I remember to help our new baby make a Thanksgiving Turkey? Will I save each little piece of paper? Then, I thought "get over yourself - of course you will - you already have a baggie labeled 'Thanksgiving project' - what else could you possibly put in there?" Then I had a good laugh at myself and decided that a cold rainy Saturday was not the day to sort all of my prized possessions. I am sure one day, my kids are going to wonder why I saved all of this stuff, and then, with a laugh, they will remember...

No comments: