Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Thoughts on Tim Tebow

I will say I compared to Justin Bieber, I know even less about Tim Tebow. However, I did meet his mother last year. She was speaking at a conference in MS. Owen and I were there for a gymnastics meet. We talked briefly on the escalator. I didn't know who she was until I saw her face on the poster announcing her session. Oh, the things I would have asked, had I known. Probably a good thing I didn't. The thing that has recently drawn my attention to Tim Tebow was an article I read by Fox News. I wish I could be techno savvy enough to give a link (wish being the operative word there). Anyway, this self-proclaim secular writer was pointing out how intense the dislike for Tim Tebow is. Apparently, after doing something good at/in football, he goes down on one knee - it has become known as te-bowing. Recently, sometime during a game, a few "teammates" mocked him and his bowing. This article was stating that he wondered what would happen if he had been bowing to Mecca. If he had been Muslim and were to be made fun of on national television, there would be **** to pay. But, because he was a Christian, bowing to the the One true God, the mockery was allowed, even encouraged. Then, the author when on to suggest that the reason for his intense dislike is that people have been waiting for him to fall. Waiting for him to do something to make him a hypocrite. He has been in the national spotlight for the past 5 years, they are still waiting. Instead of giving him an "atta boy" they dislike him, intensely. Then the author goes one more step and says, "why him?" There are lots of athletes that call themselves Christians, that thank God for their victories. The difference is how they live during the week, during the off-season, during their "time off". The major difference I see is the practicing of a religion vs a relationship. As a Christian, if you have a relationship with Christ, you have it all the time. Sometimes, even when you don't want too. In opposition, if you merely have religion, it is easy to put it on and off as needed/wanted. As a parent, I want to send him a letter, I want to say "atta boy", I want to say I appreciate the example you are setting for my athletic boys, I want to say I know persecution is tough and it's lonely, I want to say it means that the world has taken notice, I want to say I will pray for you to stay strong. That young man has unbelievable pressure on him. Pressure in football, pressure to not fail, while those around him are secretly (and some not so secretly) are hoping he does, pressure to continue to allow his actions to be just as loud as his words. I may not know much about Tim Tebow and football, in general. However, I know he inadvertently picked up a fan. I will be watching, I will be praying.

1 comment:

Beth said...

I read that same Fox News article. It is crazy. And I'm with you - I don't watch football but I am a Tebow fan. Because I have a son who is a sports nut, and quality role models of exceptional character are few and far between in the sports world.