Thursday, July 17, 2008

Saying thanks

Well, it is official. The craft room really does have carpet and it is the same color as the carpet in the rest of the house. I am still not finished and I have a list of needed containers a mile long. Small ones for crafty projects. Earlier this week someone did something very special for Alexa and I was telling her she needed to send a "Thank you" note. So, this morning we got out paper, pencil and a thank you card (yes, I really do own some). She dictated to me what she wanted to say and I wrote it down on the blank paper for her to copy into the card. I was sitting at the table with her as she wrote. When she was about half way down the card she realized that dictating was MUCH easier than writing so she started trying to alter some of the things she had previously said - making it much shorter. I told her how important is was to properly thank someone for the kindness they had shown. She replied, "well, after every birthday you tell me I have to write thank you notes and you always forget and never make me - why can't we just do that?" Ouch, she's right. Every year we BUY the themed thank you notes only never to send them. To add further insult to injury, this afternoon I found the thank you notes from Ian's birthday (LAST SEPTEMBER). The worst part of it was we had written his - only never mailed. Disgusted, I threw them away. I doubt his friends much less family even remember what they gave him nearly a year ago. They would think I was crazy! I did make an announcement that "Thank you" notes were getting moved a little higher on the list. I know the giver is not looking for a proper "thanks" but don't we all like a little " I appreciate all your effort" notice every once in a while?! So, if you have ever done something wonderful, given us a wonderful gift, and never received a thanks, I humbly apologize and sincerely say "THANKS!"

2 comments:

Shaw6pak said...

Well it's about time!!! Man, what does a person have to do to hear a simple thank you!

Just kidding. I do NOT "do" thank you notes as a regular thing for b-day parties or such, as I am sure you have noticed. I did send them for my baby shower gifts though. I am not completely without etiquette. :( I think thank you notes are a southern hospitality thang. And I missed it livng in the North. Sorry.

However, I just want to say "your welcome"! Or would you like that in a note? ~~~Kristi

Enjoying Life Together said...

I mailed H's 2nd bday thank you cards 5 months late. I wrote them, addressed them, stamped then, then "put them away". When I found them, I went ahead and mailed them. I rationalized it as "there's a newborn in the house". Everyone who received one got a big laugh out of it. :) ~S